A password will be e-mailed to you.

Your garden may be a relaxing sanctuary to rest and unwind. But don’t let your guard down!

Be mindful of your pets and small children because some ornamental plants, when ingested, can turn into dangerous, toxic, and life-threatening hazards within minutes.

Take into consideration that growing your garden requires a hefty amount of manual work on your part.

Having all the gardening tools you will need available and on hand will save you trips back and forth from the hardware store.

If you’re uncertain about which plant or gardening tool to buy, reading a product review site like AuthorityAdviser or submitting a request for review will definitely help you determine the right type of products.

#1. Lilies

There’s a plant called the gloriosa lily, also known as the climbing lily or glory lily. This is a tropical trailing vine that produces flame-colored blooms that will make your mouth, throat, tongue and lips go numb when ingested. Eating just a small amount will result in potentially serious paralysis of the nervous system, kidney failure or death.Lilies

Another type of lily is the lily of the valley. This grows low to the ground with spires of tiny white bell-shaped flowers. It has a potent, sweet-smelling scent despite its small size. Eating this plant, particularly the leaves, can cause serious problems or death. This is because lilies contain a toxic substance called calcium oxalate. When ingested this substance will result in irritation and swelling of the mouth, affecting your tongue, top of the mouth and your lips.

If you’re a cat person, stay away from lilies in the Hemerocallis genus. They endanger your cat’s health even after spring.

#2. DaffodilsDaffodils

Daffodil poisoning is caused by an alkaloid called lycorine that can trigger vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain and heartbeat irregularities. It’s the daffodil bulbs that hold the most concentrated amount of lycorine. They also contain calcium oxalates.  When ingested or inhaled it can cause respiratory distress because it can destroy the tissues in the mucous membranes as well as the upper respiratory tract.

Since the bulbs are the most poisonous part of these flowers, it’s best to think twice about planting them when you have a dog whose favorite pastime is digging.

#3. OleanderOleander

Oleander is an outdoor shrub popular for its evergreen assets and showy funnel-shaped blooms. All parts of this plant are poisonous to multiple species (dogs, cats, humans, horses, etc.).  Eating just a small part of this plant is proved to be fatal. Symptoms of poisoning include stomach pain, nausea and vomiting, drowsiness, disorientation and fainting.

It is recommended that you think twice about growing these in your yard, especially if you have little ones running around your house. A single leaf contains enough toxins that is lethal to an infant or small child.

#4. WisteriaWisteria

The charms of wisteria are almost impossible to resist. Its pendulous blooms will steal anybody’s attention. This less fragrant floriferous type is a climbing vine that produces flowing, waterfall, hanging blooms that will wrap around anything and can grow up to 60 feet high and 30 feet wide. Ingesting their seed pods is very dangerous.

The two toxic properties of wisteria are lectin and wisterin glycoside. Their seed pods and seeds themselves are the most toxic because it contains the highest amounts of both compounds.  Lectin results in clumping of the blood cells that will possible lead to stroke.

The wisterin glycoside, when ingested, will cause severe diarrhea and vomiting that can result to dehydration and death.

#5. HydrangeaHydrangea

Hydrangeas are popular garden shrubs with delicate clusters of flowers in shades of pink, blue, or white. This type of plant blooms at the start of summer and into the fall perking up any garden’s landscape.

The mop head and lacecap hydrangeas are well known for their ability to change color in different soils. But take caution because the entire plant, especially the flower buds are dangerous.

Swallowing hydrangea is like ingesting cyanide. This plant contains a compound known as glycoside amygdalin. The amygdalin is poisonous because it breaks down to produce cyanide. This will cause severe gastroenteritis symptoms, along with diarrhea. Which is frequently bloody.

Author BIO

Chloe is a trainee writer in AuthorityAdviser, a third party independent product review blog. Our mission is to help readers save time, effort and avoid bad purchases. We cover wide range of category from latest tech gadgets to home equipment. And I love teacup poodle.

No more articles