For those who are looking for an effective and quick way to give their walls a makeover, then why not try using wallpaper instead? It has a ton of benefits compared to using paint, a hassle-free method of adding decoration and personality to your rooms without the expensive price and installation. But I’m sure you’re wondering how you can select the perfect wallpaper and installing it.
To help you out, I’ll be showing you some simple tips and ideas on wallpaper to make any room in your home look amazing!
1. Consider the Room’s Style
Before anything else, you should learn first consider your room’s style before choosing the perfect pattern.
If you want something romantic, then I recommend delicate floral and pastel colors. For casual rooms, go for faux finishes or flowing floral designs for a relaxed feel. If you want something contemporary or fashionable, have bold geometrics with a lot of metallic or glossy accents. For traditional homes, try intricate stripes or damasks which would match with your furniture best.
The patterns and colors you choose should match the way your furniture looks as well, ensuring it matches the motif to avoid clashing colors which make your home look odd.
2. How Do You Plan To Use The Wallpaper?
There are different ways you can style your wallpaper and it isn’t just about using the same patterns on all walls.
You can cover all four of the walls, which gives a trendy twist to your room. Or you can also cover one wall with a bold and dramatic pattern, which highlights an area and gives a glamorous touch. Or if you want, you can give your ceiling a makeover and have tin ceilings or a metallic shade, which gives off a Victorian-style look. The opportunities are endless and use it to your advantage!
3. What Type Of Wallpaper To Use?
There are different backings of wallpaper available. There are wallpapers with non-woven backing, which can easily be removed if you want to change it. There are also new types of wallpapers which are easier to paste and won’t expand if it gets wet. I recommend that you avoid small patterns with offset matches as it will be difficult to install and match up. Go for easy-to-apply wallpaper which is made of stronger material to last, regardless of whether your pets or kids scratch or have any accidents with it. The stronger, the better!
4. How Much Wallpaper to Get?
This is another confusing question those who are new to wallpaper installation ask. Just follow these steps:
• Measure all the walls then multiple its width with the height of the wall (in feet).
• Add up all the measurements to get the total square footage.
• Deduct any measurements from doors and windows.
• Check the roll label to see if it matches the measurements you had. I recommend that you get a roll coverage more than the total you calculated and to order another extra roll just in case it wasn’t enough.
5. Should I Get Help?
This is another debate that has people wondering: should you get help or do it alone? I would recommend that if you aren’t familiar with how to install wallpaper, you hire a reputable installer who will do it for you. If you have done this before, then you can follow the instructions and get the help of someone in your household, saving you money along the way.
For those who do it themselves and something does go wrong, then call a professional immediately, as waiting or trying to fix the problem on your own can be more costly to fix.
6. What Else To Know About Wallpaper
Take note of the following:
• Metallic wallpaper or those with a super-matte finish scratches just like metal and should be looked after if you have pets or kids.
• If you use grass cloth, it would add depth and texture, making it an awesome choice for bedrooms.
• When you plan on putting up wallpaper on your kitchen, do not do so near a sink or stove, as well as the shower or tub when in a bathroom.
• If you have a crooked wall, then go for busy patterns, hiding imperfections.
Wrapping It Up
And there you have it! Through learning all about the different types of wallpaper and what you’ll be able to do with it, your home will look even better and with a touch of your unique style!
I hope that this article on wall paper installation and decoration helped you figure out what you should begin doing when touching up your home. So don’t wait any longer and utilize these tips today!
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips and experiences on wallpapers, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think.