Carpets are a favoured flooring type as they provide insulation and comfort for your home. However, their biggest drawback always becomes apparent in the event of a spillage or bad smell. The soft material of carpets means that they cling to bad odours and are easily stained. If you have pets or children, it’s likely that your home sees more than its fair share of accidents where your carpets bear the brunt. Here, we will take a look at some of the best methods for both removing stains and eliminating odours from your carpets.
How to Remove Common Stains
Old wives’ tales abound when it comes to miracle carpet cleaning techniques, but which of these actually do the trick? Here, we will take a look at the most effective means of stain removal. Always be sure to do a patch test before trying any of these on a larger or more prominent area.
- Stain Remover – Many carpet cleaning products come with stain remover that can effectively combat tough marks. You can also try using a laundry detergent with stain remover to good effect.
- Isopropyl Alcohol – This can also work wonders on stains, as can any product with a high alcohol content. These may include nail polish remover, vinegar and even the fabled white wine!
- Steam Cleaning – You can rent a steam cleaner in order to carry out a deep clean that will be more effective at stain removal than simple blotting.
If you’ve tried it all and you’re still stuck, or you simply don’t want to risk ruining your carpets, it may be best leaving it to the experts. Professional cleaners, such as Elite, offer an expert service for both cleaning and protecting carpets and soft furnishings. Their money back guarantee is reflective of the carpet cleaning Brisbane residents can expect from Elite, as their professional service is guaranteed to provide great results on even the toughest of jobs.
How to Combat Bad Odours
Bad odours can come from any number of sources. Whether your dog is creating a damp smell in your home, or you’ve managed to spill curry on the floor, unfortunately odours tend to stick around when it comes to carpets. This is not only off-putting for your everyday life but also embarrassing when guests come to visit. Here are some of the best ways to eliminate odours from your carpets for good:
- Fresh Air – Breathing some fresh air into your home can work wonders on carpet smells. Whilst you’re at home, try leaving the windows open as much as possible to allow the breeze to do its work.
- Baking Soda – This is a product that should not just be reserved for cake-making. Baking soda is well known for its ability to absorb bad smells. Try sprinkling a liberal amount of power onto the affected carpet area and brush it into the surface. This should be left at least overnight, or longer for more intense smells. It can then be swept and vacuumed clean. This is a great option as it does not damage your carpet in any way.
- White Vinegar – A white vinegar and water solution may also be useful to work through bad odours. Spray it onto the carpet and leave for fifteen minutes before rinsing with water and blotting. This can also be an effective stain-remover.
- Cleaning Solutions – For odours which are deeply rooted, a dedicated carpet cleaning solution may be necessary to work through it fully.
For persistent odours, these steps may need to be repeated multiple times before you smell results, or again, even better – why not leave it to the professionals? This is by far the best way to guarantee effective and lasting results that will free your home from bad odours for good.