Let’s admit it – you don’t usually put much thought on your garage door. You may not even remember the last time you checked and updated your garage, but you need to remind yourself from to time that this part of your house plays an important role in your daily life. For many homeowners, the garage is even the primary entrance to the house, not the front door. Hence, your garage also deserves some love.
Here are some easy makeovers that you can do to give your garage door a new life.
- Create a carriage-style garage door – Popular in the 1990s, carriage garage doors can improve your home’s curb appeal.
You don’t really need to install a real carriage garage door as that can be quite expensive; you can simply create a faux carriage garage door by attaching decorative hardware. You can find different designs of carriage door hardware sets at your local hardware store or online; installation is pretty easy to follow. With just a couple of hours, you can have a brand new garage door that’s a sure head-turner!
- Install trim to windows – This is one of the simplest makeovers you can do to give your garage door a fresh look. Simply add trim to your garage door windows to make additional panes. This is an easy project that adds architectural features to your garage door.
- Make a pergola – Creating a pergola above your garage door is a good way to highlight your door. Pergolas provide extra shade and a structure for climbing vines to grow and frame your door. Here’s how you can make a garage door pergola:
- Start with the installation of the posts, followed by the attachment of the support beams.
- Then, add the cross beams and post trim and braces.
- Fit the top slats and cap the posts to complete the job.
If you have basic woodworking skills, creating a pergola is as easy as one-two-three!
- Apply a faux wood finish – Another way of updating your ordinary garage door is to paint it to look like it’s made of wood. This garage door makeover only requires a rag, brush, a couple types of paint, and basic painting skills. There are plenty of video tutorials online that can show you how to get the job done. Your garage door will definitely look like it costs a thousand bucks!
- Create fake windows – No windows on your garage door? Worry not! You can create fake windows by painting a series of dark rectangles, preferably black, on top of your garage door. You can even add window trims to make the windows realistic even up close!
- Use a bright coat of color – This is one of the easiest and most common garage door makeovers that you can do but with a huge impact. Consider jewel tones such as fuchsia and China red to make your garage door stand out from the rest in your neighborhood. Plus, with a bright-colored garage, it’ll be easy for your visitors to find your house when they come over!
- Get the most out of flower baskets – Giving your garage a makeover doesn’t have to be expensive and complicated. You can beautify your garage door without doing anything to the door itself! How? By using flowers and greeneries. Here are some examples:
- Hang flower baskets on either end of the garage door.
- Place a few large potted plants in front of your garage.
- Plant a beautiful vine that can climb up to your garage pergola.
Updating your old garage door will definitely enhance your home’s overall aesthetics. However, before you do any of these makeovers, ensure that your garage door has no damage that needs to be addressed first. Call a reliable garage door repair company near you or visit garagedoorsrepairwizard.com so they can check the function and integrity of your garage door and fix whatever’s broken. If all is well, then there should be no stopping you from getting an Instagram-worthy garage door!