With moving house frequently being ranked as one of the most stressful life experiences we can go through, anything that can help make the process easier is a huge help!
With a seemingly endless list of things to remember, all whilst going about your everyday life and work, it’s easy to let apparently obvious things slip your mind. Even those of us with great memories and organisational skills will benefit from a handy little list to remind us of what we need to do.
By keeping our moving house checklist handy you’ll make the house moving process a much easier, less stressful process!
Current House Jobs
- Settle up old bills for the house – you don’t want to be stung with backdated bills.
- Get all of your housing documents you need to hand (paperwork, certificates etc) – you never know when you’ll need it during the process.
- Do a mail redirect with royal mail – ensure all of your post reaches you.
- Get rid of furniture you won’t be taking – sell, gift or donate.
- Inform deliveries and services – milk, papers, window cleaner, gardener, cleaner etc that you are moving.
- Inform Doctors, Dentists etc that you are moving house and leaving their practice (if applicable).
- Cancel gym memberships or inform them of your change of address.
- Buy boxes and parcel tape for your belongings to be transported in. Buy more than you’ll need in case they break.
- Arrange removal company or rental van if doing it yourself. Shop around for the best deal.
- Inform DVLA of change of address.
- Inform work of change of address.
- Inform your bank of your change of address.
- Tell friends and family your new address.
- Change Utilities (gas, electric, water).
New House Jobs
- Arrange parking permits for new house (if required).
- Register with new doctors, dentists, kids schools, vets, gym, opticians (if applicable).
- Source new help you may need – cleaners, gardeners, window cleaners etc.
- Change address on car insurance, mobile phone.
- Arrange for water, electricity, internet, gas etc for the new house.
- Organise any tradesmen to carry out jobs at the new house.
- Inform council of you moving in.
- Arrange new services such as paper delivery, milkman.
- Measure any rooms you’re buying new furniture for.
- Make sure you have a forwarding address for previous occupiers.
- Update any magazine subscriptions to the new address.
Some of the jobs on this list may seem a little patronising or even unnecessary, but when you have the chaos of family life, work, house moving, phone calls to make, questions to answer, decisions to ponder and a whole list of other things taking up your brain space, you’ll be amazed at the seemingly obvious things you forget!
Print the list, write it out, email it to yourself – do whatever you need to do, but keep it handy and you’ll make your house move so much easier and less stressful!
For more information and help buying new houses see Anwyl Homes.