One of the most fun and satisfying ways of decorating your home and garden is to fill them with beautiful-looking and exquisitely-smelling plants. However, pet owners need to be wary that humans aren’t the only ones who are curious of bright, attractive flowers, trees, and shrubs. According to pet nutrition experts, James Wellbeloved, some animals have a habit of exploring novel and attractive things by tasting them. Sadly, some common and popular plants are toxic to pets, so owners should avoid planting or potting them in their home and instead seek out safer alternatives.
Aconitum plants are not only poisonous to pet animals but humans, too. They actually taste quite nasty, so few pets will try to eat them. But some cannot help themselves, so you should avoid this family of plants to save yourself the worry.
Amaryllis plants are popular because they are easy to plant, bloom quickly, and add a lot of colour to the garden. Your pet would have to eat a lot of Amaryllis bulbs to suffer from serious poisoning, but some pets, especially some dogs, love to dig up and eat whatever they can find.
3. Autumn Crocus
Despite having some medicinal benefits for humans, Autumn Crocus has a similar affect on cats and dogs as arsenic, so is highly toxic to them.
Like Amaryllis, your pet would need to ingest a lot of Azaleas to become ill and your pet will likely make a full recovery if treated quickly. But they are popular and toxic enough to warrant a mention on this list.
This very common plant can be difficult to avoid in public spaces, like meadows or parks, but owners should reduce the risk to their pets by not planting them at home. The whole plant is toxic to animals and can induce anything from stomach pains to vomiting and toilet trouble.
Another very popular plant for brightening up a home or garden but, unfortunately, which is harmful in high quantities. Eating the flower can cause irritation and vomiting, but dogs that like to dig up and eat whole plants are most at risk of severe poisoning.
Sadly, these striking plants contain cyanide and ingestion by pets can be very serious. No matter how much you trust your pet, consider if having these plants in your home is really worth the risk.
Yes, sadly, one of the nation’s favourite flowers are highly toxic to pets. They are especially difficult to manage as your pet might not mean to eat them. Instead, they may just rub up against them, get pollen on their fur, and then ingest it later when grooming.
A beautiful, ornamental shrub which is toxic enough to harm large mammals as big as a cow or horse; so, you can imagine the impact on household pets.
Tulips are from the same plant family as Hyacinths, and are equally as toxic.
While these are only some of the most common toxic plants, the full list is more extensive. Fortunately, having pets doesn’t have to be an excuse to not decorate your home with attractive plants, as there are plenty of safe alternatives that you can pot or plant for you and your pet to enjoy together.