Witnessing green algae deposits here and there on the roof is not an uncommon sight. Even if you are not able to see them or they remain concealed, they can pose to be serious health problems. Regardless of where you see them, it is of utmost importance to scrape them off the moment you see them or without any further delay.

Ranging from the food in your fridge to the rooftop, there can be molds everywhere. However, unlike the food in the refrigerator that you have to throw into your garbage bin, you cannot do the same thing with your rooftop. So, let us explore a few ways in which you can get rid of the mold or algae on the roof.

In this article, let us find out more about the same and the essential aspects related to the same. So, read on for more information. 

Taming mold

You will find that there are many such products and solutions available in the market that will help you in removing algae and other stuff like that. Not everyone will understand the difference between mold, algae, mildew, slime, lichen, and moss. However, professional contractors who work in construction will best understand this.

In case you have doubts too, you can approach aroofing contractor Champaign ILwho can help you in identifying the problem and will also offer the appropriate solution for the same. 

Most commonly mold found on the rooftop include algae that are widely prevalent and grow on the shingles made up of asphalt as they feed on the powder that is made up of limestone. Just as algae grow on shingles, mold will develop on plants or organic stuff on the rooftop.

Although you cannot prevent them from falling or growing on your roof, you can always manage to scrape them off so that your rooftop is not damaged any further.

Methods for cleaning algae and mold from the rooftop 

You can spray a solution that is made up of water and chlorine bleach. Adding tri sodium phosphate to the solution of chlorine bleach and water also helps and is effective.

Allowing the mixture to settle on your roof for at least 5 minutes is desirable. You can then rinse it off with a garden hose pipe. Avoid using a pressure washer as the force with which the water comes out can damage the roof.

An important word of caution is that if at all you are using bleach, make sure you wash it off just after leaving it on for a while. If you leave it on for longer, it will not only harm the plants if you have them on the roof, but the shingles present can get corroded.

Alternatively, you can also use commercial rooftop cleaning solutions and products that will not cause harm to the plants or the structures present there. Regardless of the type of scraping solution you are using, it is better to clean the area sprayed with water after a while.

Depending on the severity of the deposits of mold and lichen, you can select the concentration of the cleaning agent.