Perhaps you’ve heard the wise saying, “If you fail to plan, plan to fail.” Or possibly even “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” Ok, maybe not that last one. But both could not ring truer than it does in the context of a DIY paint project or when you’re making seemingly easy upgrades for your home!
Check out these tips and tricks for painting your own home before undertaking a painting task.
Though it may seem persnickety, it could be argued that the most important part of painting is the preparation stage. Prepare like a professional, by following these tips:
Buy the right supplies
- Calculate how much paint you will need based on the dimensions of your room. This will also involve setting a budget for your project. Does DIY save you money?
- Test it out. Before going all in, just to find that the color overwhelms you, paint a small section of your room the color and let it dry before making the final decision. Consider choosing colors that look good in all seasons. Also, pick a color palette for your home.
- The paint brush you use really makes a huge difference in the finished product and in your sanity level post-painting. Whether you’re using an eggshell finish or doing trim-work, there is a brush perfect for each painting job.
Clean & prep the walls
- A job worth doing is worth doing right, so take time to clean the walls rather than painting over the dirt and pet hair. Using the proper methods to clean your walls is key.
- Fill nail holes with spackle and use a piece of sandpaper to smooth it even with the wall.
- It may seem easier to get right after it, but taping edges, covering floors, and moving furniture will yield a higher quality job and avoid a disaster.
If DIY seems too daunting, homepainter is here to help. Get a quote and find a painting professional in minutes.